Big, chewy peanut butter cookies loaded sweet chocolate chips, M&M candies, and oats… everything you could want in a dessert! These colorful cookies are fun for kids to eat, but equally as delicious for adults.
Ever since I mastered my favorite cookie dough base, I haven’t been able to stop coming up with new cookie creations. Last time I shared the decadent Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies, and this time I’m going with a classic kid favorite… Monster Cookies!
I say these are a kid favorite because of the bright colored M&M’s sprinkled throughout the dough, but let’s be honest… even the grown-ups love a good M&M cookie, right? All those pretty colors PLUS tons of peanut-buttery goodness AND chewy oats baked into these cookies… what’s not to love?
And by the way, when I say “monster” cookies… I mean MONSTER cookies. No teeny, tiny, pathetic cookies here, folks. I’m a firm believer that a good cookie should be the size of your head (give or take a little 😉 ), not the size of a grape. This recipe calls for 1/4 cup of dough per cookie, and although it may sound a little excessive, trust me on this one. The cookies will bake up perfectly chewy on the outside, but still soft and tender on the inside.
This recipe should give you about 20 massive monster cookies, and there’s NO chill time required! Hip hip hooray! If you want to make the dough ahead of time, of course you can still chill the dough before baking, but it’s not really necessary. Also, the cookies will still look undercooked after 12 or 13 minutes of bake time, but take them out of the oven anyway and cool for 5 full minutes before gently moving them to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies need that rest time to cool down and set up before you try moving them.
Gently press a few extra M&M’s into the top of each dough ball before baking to make the cookies look extra pretty. You’ll see the colorful M&M’s on top instead of having them all hidden in the dough!
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&M candies
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and line baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and peanut butter with a hand or stand mixer until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Mix in the egg and vanilla, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, add the flour, baking soda, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt and whisk to combine. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, and M&M candies by hand.
- Measure out ¼ cup balls of dough and place them on the baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 11-13 minutes until the edges are just starting to brown and the top still looks slightly undercooked. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely.
– adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction