DIY Canvas Script Art

This is it, guys! The last project tutorial from my living room gallery wall!

If I had to choose a favorite piece from this display, even though I LOVE my pallet wood arrow, I’d have to say this DIY Canvas Script Art takes the cake. It’s bold and girly and totally draws your eye, which is exactly what I wanted for the gallery wall. I just adore fancy black and white script art, and I found a way to easily re-create that look on canvas for a fraction of the price you see in stores!

P.S. If you haven’t seen the full gallery wall yet, be sure to head over there after you’re done here! Lots of home decor inspiration to check out!

Let’s get started on the tutorial…

Easy DIY home decor idea: Learn how to create a gorgeous script art canvas! | LoveGrowsWild.com

Supplies:

– canvas
– paint and brush
– pencil
– projector

I wanted this canvas art to be a big focal point on my gallery wall, so I used a large 20″ x 16″ canvas. The easiest way to transfer something onto a large surface is by using a projector.

For years, I’ve wanted to own one (so many cool DIY things you can do with them!), and this large script art was the final reason to go buy one. I was afraid to look how much a projector would cost me, but I was pleasantly surprised to find this EZ Tracer Art Projector* for only $29.99 at Hobby Lobby. With a 40% off coupon, the projector was less than $18. I know I’ll use it for more than just this project, so I went ahead and picked one up!

Tutorial:

1) Create the script art text on your computer and save it as a .jpg file.

- I used the Antrokas font for mine. So pretty!

2) Resize your text to fit underneath the projector and print it from your computer.

3) Lean the canvas against a wall, set up your projector, and turn off the lights. It helps to be in a dark room! Once you get your text projected on the canvas where you like, trace around the letters with a pencil to get a basic outline.

- I printed my text small from the computer, so the projected image was fairly blurry. I was able to trace a basic outline of the letters and go back to fill in any blank areas later. Using the projector made this such a simple process!

5) Use a small, fine-tipped paint brush to paint along the outline of the letters first. If you’re worried about painting by hand, don’t be! Just go slow and try to use even pressure.

6) Using a slightly larger paint brush, fill in the outlined areas with paint.

- You’ll notice I ran the tops and bottoms of some letters off the canvas for a little added interest.

And that’s it! Once the paint is dry, you can hang your new canvas script art up!

I’m complete smitten with the black and white contrast. And that font… amazing! See how I continued the letters around the sides of the canvas?

And here’s how it looks with the rest of the gallery wall… complete with old maps, specimen art, a golden “F”, and pictures of my little munchkins! What’s your favorite part of the gallery wall?

Though it was not at all planned, I love how the wood arrow points from a picture of my husband and I to the “happily ever after” sign. So cute, right? I wish I could take credit for thinking that far ahead, but it just happened to fall that way. :)

Tell me what you think! Do you love the black and white or are you more of a color person? To see all the project tutorials from our living room gallery wall, click the links below!

Living Room Gallery Wall
DIY Wood Pallet Arrow
Fabric Covered Frame Mats
Key Specimen Art

Like what you see? Subscribe to Love Grows Wild so you’ll never miss a post!
Follow along on PinterestGoogle+Instagram, and Facebook for more fun!

Learn how to create a fun, personal, and creative Gallery Wall for LESS THAN $20! Yes, you CAN decorate an entire wall for that cheap! Get all the best tips and tricks from LoveGrowsWild.com

Living Room Gallery Wall

Learn how to create this simple, rustic wood pallet arrow! | LoveGrowsWild.com

DIY Pallet Wood Arrow

How to make Fabric Covered Frame Mats for SUPER cheap! I love this trick! at LoveGrowsWild.com

Fabric-Covered Frame Mats

Framed Key Specimen Art | LoveGrowsWild.com

Key Specimen Art

* There are Amazon affiliate links in this post.

LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH!

Subscribe to Blog | Browse my Shop | Follow on Facebook | Follow on Twitter
Follow on Google+ | Follow on Pinterest | Follow on Instagram

Comments

1. Cindy Trobaugh says:

Amazing! Gorgeous and Beautiful….Will be looking into one at Hobby Lobby..With Coupon in hand…Have a Blessed Day ~ Cindy

Thank you, Cindy!! I think you’ll love having a projector around! I’m already planning my next project. ;)

2. I like the black and white! Love how your arrow points from your photo to the saying too – happy accident! I really like your whole wall. It turned out wonderfully!

Thank you, Cecilia! I’m really digging the classic black and white color scheme right now. Thanks for stopping by!

3. What a great idea, and your whole gallery wall is so much fun! I’d love it if you shared this over at The Makers link party going on at my blog. Hope to see you there!http://upcycledtreasures.com/2014/05/makers-link-party-17/

~Katie

4. JaneEllen says:

I am loving this, just might have to get me one of those awesome little projectors. Who knew you could do such great things with it. I struggle with getting writing on my signs and things like that. This might be my saving grace.
    We made two of your arrows so far. One I painted a very light aqua to go on wall in our newly painted l/r. We used a light slight blue tinted gray, love it, opens up the room to be so much lighter. After winter I felt like I was claustrophobic so when I found that color and some new gray with white design curtains on sale at T.J.Maxx I knew which color palette would be in our l/r. So now I’m making new art for walls. I’m loving it so far. Don’t want to overdo with too much on walls. You’ve really inspired me. Happy weekend

I love hearing that! I bet those pallet arrows look beautiful in your new living room! And the colors you chose sound gorgeous. What a fresh change for spring!

5. Wow! That is fantastic. I didn’t know you could get a projector for so little. I am definitely trying that out. Plus, the pallet arrow is just…well, gorgeous! Thanks for an inspiring post!

I had no idea either, Elizabeth! I assumed any kind of projector would be way out of my price range! I think you’ll really love what you can do with it. And thank you for the love on my pallet arrow!! :)

6. that looks so great and I agree that font really makes the piece.
    love the whole wall!

7. Hi Liz, your wall looks fabulous. And I loved how you shared using the projector. I especially love u our arrows. Hope you had your baby by now. And congrats.

Hi Connie! Thank you for your sweet words! The wood pallet arrow is one of my favorites too. Rachel, a fabulous contributor of mine, is actually the one having a baby, and hopefully that little girl will make her debut soon! Thanks for stopping by. :)

8. Oh my goodness – I’m ready to run out and buy one of these projectors ASAP! Such a cute project and so simple – and I absolutely love the gallery wall. Pinning so I don’t forget to add a projector to my wish list! Thanks for sharing ~ Erika @ http://www.yayforhandmade.com

Girl, you totally need one! I’ve considered getting one for so long, and I couldn’t be happier with my purchase! Already dreaming up a million more ways to use it. :)

Thanks for stopping by to check out my project! I’m thrilled that you love the script art!
      xoxo Liz

9. Patrice says:

Thank you for the tutorial. Definitely want to make one for myself.

10. Just found your blog and so happy I did! I love, love the canvas and the black & white combo is perfect! I had no clue one could find a projector for that price ~ thanks so much for sharing! I can’t wait to try one of these. I’m a new follower and look forward to more of your creativity.

xo
    Pat

So nice to meet you, Pat! I’m thrilled to have you here! That projector is one of my absolute favorite new toys… I can’t wait to see what project I come up with next for it! Thanks for stopping by and for the love on my canvas script art!

xoxo Liz

11. I love this script art and the entire wall. It looks fabulous!

Thank you, Leigh Anne!! It’s made such a difference in decorating my living room! Thanks for stopping by, girl!

12. THis looks awesome!! I love the gallery wall, very unique pieces!

Thanks so much, Virginia!! Aren’t gallery walls such a fun way to fill up a black space? So glad you stopped by today! :)

13. I have that projector!!!!!! It is quite awesome :)

Just one quick questions for you,

Did you paint the canvas white before doing the lettering or leave it as it was naturally white?!!

Thanks!!

Isn’t it great?? I can’t wait to use mine again! And I didn’t paint the canvas first. I was too excited to get started on the script lettering! Lol :) Have fun creating!

14. Just bought the 0.99 craft paint, which is what is making it cheap. But a suggestion for brand/type would be much appreciated!

• Hey Gina! I’ve used all sorts of different craft paints like DecoArt, Americana, FolkArt, and Martha Stewart. Any of those should work great! Happy crafting :)