Kitchen Makeover Tour

Hi friends! Let me just say that I am BEYOND excited for today’s post! If you’ve been following along for the past few months, you have probably witnessed some of my trials and triumphs as I gave my little rental home kitchen a makeover. Today I’m finally ready to share with you the big reveal as I take you on a tour of my vintage-inspired kitchen makeover!
Take a tour of this beautiful Vintage-Inspired Kitchen Makeover! Lots of DIY projects tutorials to browse!

I promise I will try to keep my chatting to a minimum so you can focus on all the pretty kitchen photos I took for you! This makeover all started with a blank, un-decorated kitchen with old orange-brown cabinets, ugly speckled floors, and even uglier countertops with a matching ugly backsplash… all in a house that we RENT. Since we weren’t going to throw any money into renovations on a house we don’t own, we had to work with what we already had and make it look as pretty as possible! And in reality, most people (including us) don’t have thousands of dollars to spend gutting their entire kitchen and picking out the perfect granite countertops or custom cabinets anyway, so I’m very happy to show you what we were able to do in our little old rental kitchen on a tiny budget!
So the multi-color speckled floor and ugly countertops are still there, but I can honestly say that I don’t even hardly notice them now that there are so many other lovely things for my eye to linger on. I won’t bore you now with all the old “before” photos, but you can click here to view them and see how we went from that…
… to this!
We’re lucky enough to have three nice, big bump-out windows in our kitchen that let in a ton of beautiful sunlight, and I just love this little seating area I was able to create under the windows. Almost every single piece of furniture in our home has been thrifted or handed down from family, and this table and chairs were no exception. The originally dark brown table got a creamy white makeover which keeps the area nice and bright. The two chairs also got a dark-to-light makeover and newly-recoverd seat cushions. This part of the makeover definitely gave me the most gray hair and wrinkles! Seriously… I feel little silver strands sprouting on my head just thinking about it! It was quite an experience learning how to completely  refinish our dining chairs, but I managed to conquer stripping, painting, and recovering them with only a few minor tears shed! So if you’ve ever thought about painting your chairs, I have a boatload of advice, tips, and the best products to use here!

I also found a way to re-create the look of roman shades for all three of my kitchen windows with this awesome trick! And do you know what I used for my fabric? …A table cloth from TJ Maxx! Sometimes it’s good to think outside the box when it saves you money!

Our kitchen originally had one main light in the center of the room and a big ol’ ceiling fan right next to the windows. Not only did the two of them look SUPER weird together, but we never used the fan anyway, so we switched that out with a gor-gee-ous Edison-style pendant light. I’ve wanted one of these forever! It hangs down right over the table and creates a cozy, inviting space to sit and drink your morning coffee. Love!

The big, rustic chalkboard I made for the back wall of my kitchen was one of my first and definitely one of my favorite kitchen projects. My sweet husband helped me create the aged brackets for the corners, and I love having a place to plan out our meals or create fun chalk art for the holidays! To fill in some of the space on that big wall, I picked up some cheap-o white plates and created a numbered plate display with my Silhouette machine. You’ll definitely have to check out my super easy trick for hanging the plates on the wall! I bet you already have everything you need at home already : )

Below my chalkboard is a little cut-out in the wall that I assume used to be for your telephone back in the day. Back in the day… isn’t that funny? I remember the very first cordless phone we got my Mom for Christmas or the car phones you used to have before cell phones came along. We don’t even have a home phone anymore! I haven’t found the perfect old rotary phone to put in that little nook yet, so for now my little antique kitchen scale sits there. I was so excited the day I purchased that baby at the antique store! My husband looked at me like I had lost my marbles… paying money for old, rusted crap. Sometimes I can’t even believe we’re married. : )

Do you remember the shelf I refinished for my kitchen? It’s super handy for hanging my apron (which I made from a thrifted men’s shirt, by the way!) and gives me a place to add a little bit of decoration in the kitchen. I’ve styled the shelf with simple items from my kitchen, with the DIY rope letters I made, and my favorite, with pretty things for Fall! For now, it’s styled very simply with some bowls, a painted mason jar, and an old grater, but I’m sure it will get another makeover very soon. The holidays are right around the corner, you know!

See that rustic wood sign above the doorway? I made that one along with a white and black sign that hangs above the other doorway. They were super easy to make and put a smile on my face every time I walk into the kitchen. It just feels so good creating things for your home with your own two hands!

Here’s a not-so-glamourous shot of my old oven and ugly counters. The pretty white KitchenAid mixer and etched glass oil bottle almost make up for the ugliness.  Almost. Did you know I’m an OCD organizing freak also? It’s true. Keeping my salt and pepper shakers and olive oil bottle corralled on a lacy white tray is another thing that makes me happy. It’s the simple things, I tell ya.
This opening above the sink is one of my favorite parts of the kitchen. I’m able to still be part of the conversation while I’m cooking or doing dishes, and it keeps everything nice and open. Do you see the fabric covered roller shade peeking through? That’s another fabulous idea for renters!
Creating these mason jar soap dispensers were on the top of my list for the kitchen. Much better than plastic bottles all over!

Ask my family, I can kill just about any plant you throw my way. Even a cactus. But this little plant my sweet Godmother sent me when we moved in is still alive and kickin’ and helps hide the side of my microwave.

Since I’m super cheap… er, thrifty, I used the rest of the tablecloth from my faux roman shades to make a small valance for the window next to my pantry.

This would be my little wash sink/pantry area. We turned the closet behind that white door into a pantry, which adds a TON more storage space.

I hung these DIY wooden photo clipboards up high on the wall so they wouldn’t be bumped and knocked down while walking through the narrow space. You guys… this project ended up being one of my MOST POPULAR posts EVER! These clipboards were a huge hit along with the rustic food prints I photographed to hang on them. I had so many requests to sell the photos for others to use, so that’s exactly what I did! Love Grows Wild – The Shop was born, and you can now purchase these photos to display in your home too! If you’re interested, click here for more info on the photos.

In lieu of a traditional towel holder, I built a decorative ladder to hang some towels next to my sink. I love it so much, I pretty much want one in every room of my house!

And that’s the tour! I have thoroughly enjoyed creating this space, especially since I spend about 75% of my time in the kitchen cooking or washing dishes, so I’m very glad to have a pretty space to do that in now! You can find links to ALL the projects from our kitchen makeover below. I’d LOVE to hear your thoughts, so tell me what you think!

What’s your favorite part of the makeover?

DIY Kitchen Projects at lovegrowswild.com

Let’s Keep In Touch!

Subscribe to Blog | Browse my Shop | Follow on Facebook | Follow on Twitter
Follow on Google+ | Follow on Pinterest | Follow on Instagram | Subscribe to Newsletter

Comments

1. Your kitchen is just beautiful, Liz! Your attention to all of the little details is impeccable, and you gave the space such personality. Plus, your commentary about the kitchen scale made me laugh… ;) Congrats on the big reveal…it was worth the wait!

You are so sweet, Samantha! Thank you! I love being in my kitchen even more now… even if it is just slaving over washing dishes :) Thanks so much for stopping by to see the makeover!

2. Liz, absolutely stunning!!! No words.

I hope you are as proud of this as you should be!! What a beautiful place to cook and hang out :) Thank you so much for sharing with us!

Thank you, thank you Kelly! I am so proud of what we’ve done! A little elbow grease and some creativity can go a long way : ) I’m so glad you stopped by to see the makeover!

3. Wow, Liz! Where do I start?! I absolutely love everything you did! I love your little nook-I’d be spending most of my time in there! Your faux roman shades…let me say – genius! I’ve used table clothes as is for long curtains but love the look of your shades. The telephone niche is styled perfectly ( I’m looking for an old rotary phone too!) and your artwork is fabulous. I could go on and on. So many great ideas. I am now following.
    Have a wonderful week!
    Cecilia

Thank you so much, Cecilia! Your sweet comments made my day! Don’t table cloths make such fabulous curtains? I’ve found them in all kinds of pretty designs! And I have my eye open all the time for a cute old rotary phone… just haven’t found the right one yet! I’m so glad you could stop by :)

4. What a lovely kitchen. I love the window seating area–how fun is that? It’s absolutely beautiful!

Thank you so much, Lisa! I love sitting at my little table in the morning! It’s the perfect place to drink a cup of coffee and plan out my day :) Thanks for stopping by!

5. Looks beautiful Liz! I am hoping to get some stuff done on mine over the winter. If it turns out half as good as yours I will be happy!! : )

Thank you, Ashley!! You’re too sweet! I’m sure you will do some amazing things with your kitchen too! You always come up with the best ideas :)

6. Wow! Great job! It’s so light and airy! Love the rustic touches too!

7. So pretty Liz! It is so great to see a blogger take a space that they can’t redo and make it beautiful! We rent too and while my in-laws would be more than happy to let us redo some things, it is just too much to spend all that money in a place you rent. I am inspired now! Especially since we have some of the same issues in our kitchen!
    Elizabeth @ Real Inspired

I’m so glad you like it, Elizabeth! Renting does have it’s limitations, but a little bit of creativity can go a long way! Thanks so much for stopping by!!

8. I love everything you did! As a big fan of anything vintage which I also write about often, I was so happy to see things like the scale and Mason jars included. You have such creative diy projects. I think my favorite is the Roman shade in the kitchen made from a tablecloth. Hard to pick just one. You should be very proud! I’m a huge fan of making things fun and creative for less money.

Hi Dana! Thank you so much!! I love that trick with the roman shade too! Adding little vintage touches to a space always makes it feel so “homey” to me. I’m so glad you enjoyed the makeover! :)

9. It looks great!! I am all about making the best of what you are given! All those details just give the so many places to focus on. Good job!!1

Thank you, Debbie! I’m so glad I was able to work with what we have and completely decorate the space on our tiny budget! Thanks for stopping by!

10. Wonderful makeover! Wow. The DIY clipboards and prints are probably my favorite! I am so impressed with all the creative ways you came up with to transform your rental house (it really is so much harder when there are some things you just can’t change). Glad I found you at the Sunday Showcase Party!

I just love those clipboards too! And yes, rental homes can be hard to decorate because there are certain things you can’t change. But I think that challenged me to get creative with the budget I had to work with and come up with fun ways to make the space “me”. I’m so glad you like the way it turned out! Thanks so much for stopping by and for your sweet comments!

11. What a beautiful kitchen makeover! I love every last detail! Nicely done!!

12. Liz your kitchen is STUNNING…PLEASE come do mine i love every single project

You feed me with some of your amazing food, and I’ll gladly come do your kitchen! Anytime girl! Thank you so much for your sweet compliments and for stopping by to see my new kitchen!

13. Wow, what a stunning kitchen! I love all the attention to the little details in here :) You did an amazing job and anyone would definitely enjoy hanging out in here :)

Thank you so much, Kelly! I really do enjoy spending time in there now! Even if I am slaving away at cooking dinner and washing dishes :)
      So glad you could stop by!

14. Wow!! I love your kitchen!! I am always thinking outside the box too and am blessed with a hubby who does the same!!

Thank you, Jenn! That’s wonderful that your husband thinks the same way! Mine “tolerates” all my crazy ideas and is usually willing to help out! I’m so glad you could stop by!

15. I seriously love it all! I love that’s it’s simple and not overdone. I love the color choices you chose, and the decor is perfect. Great job girl!

I’m so excited you stopped by, Rebecca! You’re the sweetest! I’m so glad you like how everything turned out. I kept second-guessing myself with all the neutrals, but that’s just what I love! I’m always drawn to them :)

16. Your kitchen is looking wonderful. I LOVE the hanging lights you chose! I’m hosting a pillow cover giveaway that you should enter. http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/11/michelle-dwight-designs-pillow-cover.html

Thank you so much, Kayla! I’m seriously in love with my kitchen lights too! They add so much personality to the space! Glad you could stop by :)

17. I love everything about your kitchen!! I especially love that it’s not granite counter tops :) The signage is awesome and very similar to the signs I have in my kitchen. And I love the smaller vintage light fixture. Hoping to remove a floating cabinet and replace it with vintage light fixtures like that. Thank you for sharing!

Misty
    Through the Dutch Door

Hi Misty! Thank you so much for your sweet comments! As much as I would love nice, new countertops and cabinets, this works just fine for us and our budget! I bet a vintage light fixture would look fantastic in your kitchen too! I just adore mine :) Thanks for stopping by!

18. What a wonderful and inviting space! Even with your limits you’ve manage to add such personality to it! Love love the clipboard pictures. No wonder they were popular! Really lovely space!

Thank you so much, Abby! I can’t even tell you how much I love those photos on the clipboard! As a self-taught photographer, I was beyond pleased with how they turned out! Thanks for stopping by, and I’m so glad you like the makeover :)

19. I love it! The vintage touches, the chalkboard menu, the simplicity! Just adore!!!! I’d love for you to share it at my weekly link party! Hope to see you there! http://www.thelifeofjenniferdawn.com/2013/11/a-little-bird-told-me-link-party-68.html

Hi Jennifer! Thanks so much for stopping by! I’m loving all the little vintage touches in my kitchen now. It’s much more fun to cook in a pretty kitchen :)

20. Liz,
    I just found your blog via a link-up at City Farmhouse… after spending entirely too many hours perusing your blog and pinning all the great ideas, I discovered something (aside from your creativity and mad photo skills.) We live in the same town… (according to your etsy shop, that is) How crazy is that!?! Were you affected by the tornadoes? I simply adore your blog and what your have done with your rental. Have a wonderful day!

Hi Peggy! What a small world it is! We live further out in the country, so our home was untouched and we were safe and sound. It wasn’t until later that night when I drove into town to get food (we lost power) that I realized how bad it was! We were very lucky, and I hope you were too! I’m so glad you’re like what you see here! I certainly hope to see you around more often :)

• We too live out in the country on the east side of the county. Thankfully our road was unaffected aside from a couple of poles being knocked down but the folks around the corner and down the road a smidge were not as fortunate. Thankfully there were no injuries.

21. You have done an amazing job! you have so many great projects I am going to pin. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thank you so much, Tammy! I’ve had a ton of fun decorating this space! So glad you could stop by to check it all out :)

22. Love this tour…every detail that you share is adorable.Your kitchen looks fantastic and I am sure you enjoy cooking here. We are just in the mid of home renovation… hope my kitchen turn out pretty like yours.thanks for sharing.

You are so sweet, Nicole! Thank you! I love having a pretty kitchen to enjoy now! Best of luck with your renovations… I’m sure everything will turn out beautifully! :) Thanks for stopping by!

23. Wow, it looks fantastic. So inviting! I love every detail!

24. So much awesome, Liz!! Turned out beautifully!

25. Fabulous job, it turned out spectacular! I really like the numbered plates and the photo clipboards!

Thank you, thank you, Kristen! I’m flattered! I absolutely LOVE your bright and colorful kitchen too! Isn’t it so much more fun to cook in a pretty space that you love? Thanks for stopping by girl!

26. What a change, Liz! It turned out beautifully! I’m hosting a link party and would love for you to link up at http://ihearthandson.blogspot.ca/2013/11/show-off-friday-no-5-plus-features.html

Have a great weekend!

27. Liz this is stunning! I love love the style, you did a great job working with your kitchen! I love the kitchen artwork on the wood. Those are my favorite :)

YAY Taryn! I’m so glad you like it! What a sweet compliment from a talented gal like you :) Thanks for stopping by!

28. Everything turned out fantastic!!!

29. You did a wonderful job working with the existing kitchen! I love it!!!! I think it makes it just that more charming. I just pinned a few things for me to create! Thanks!

30. It’s gorgeous. My fave part is the beautiful pics.