DIY Mint Sugar Scrub & Holiday Gift Ideas

It’s official! I bought my first Christmas gift of the year! It seems like I always end up cramming all my holiday shopping into the last two weeks before Christmas, and this year I’m trying (keyword being TRYING) to get it all finished early. I’d rather enjoy the weeks before Christmas baking cookies and decorating the house instead of fighting the crowds to get that last toy on the shelf. That’s what the holidays should be about anyway!

I love to give DIY gifts like homemade candies or handmade blankets to my friends and family, but getting all those gifts finished before December 25th arrives is not easy! So to help me plan and organize my gift list, I’ve created a Pinterest board where I can dump all kinds of ideas for projects, recipes, or just things that inspire me. This year, I’m going with a “holiday flavors” theme… Anything I find with pumpkin, apple, or mint gets pinned right onto my Flavorful Holiday Ideas board!

Get inspired with flavorful ideas using pumpkin, apple, and mint!

You can follow my Flavorful Holiday Ideas board too! Click here!

I’ve always wanted to try making my own beauty products, and the other day I mixed up a homemade mint sugar scrub that turned out fantastic! I had no idea it was so easy to make and it smells absolutely amazing!

This Homemade Mint Sugar Scrub is easy to make and a great DIY gift idea!

You only need a few simple ingredients to make a basic sugar scrub: your oil of choice (I used coconut), sugar, and an oil extract to scent your scrub. I was inspired by the all the “mint” ideas from my pin board, so I added some peppermint extract and a drop of green food coloring to give it that lovely minty-green look. I just adore the color mint green! I swear SOMEDAY I’m going to finally makeover my master bedroom using mint and navy. That color combo is my fave!

This Homemade Mint Sugar Scrub is a great DIY gift idea!

I have only recently learned about the wonders of coconut oil… Have you ever used it? My younger sister, Kristi, has become a health nut in recent years, (I WISH I could be her!) and she uses it for all sorts of things. One of which is a RIDICULOUSLY yummy popcorn recipe that I will have to share with you some day! Remind me to steal that recipe from her when I see her on Thanksgiving, mmkay?

I wasn’t sure exactly where I’d be able to find coconut oil, but I spotted it right next to all the other oils in the baking section at my local grocery store. At room temperature coconut oil is solid, so I just microwaved some of the oil in a bowl until it softened, which only took about 15-25 seconds. Then I added the sugar, peppermint extract, and green food coloring and mixed it all together until I had a moist, minty-green sugar scrub! You can make your scrub with whatever ratio of ingredients you like, but I like mine to be a bit on the coarser side rather than oily, so it exfoliates really well. If your scrub is too dry, add more coconut oil. If your scrub is too wet, add more sugar. Make it however you prefer!

This Homemade Mint Sugar Scrub is a perfect DIY gift idea! Inexpensive and easy to make!

To package my mint sugar scrub to give as gifts, I spooned the scrub into wide-mouth half pint mason jars. This recipe gave me enough scrub to fill 3 of them. I made the jars extra pretty by sandwiching a paper doily between the jar lid and ring. I LOVE this detail! Then I tied some red and white twine around the jar for the perfect finishing touch. I’ve been using this on my hands and feet, and it makes them super soft! Even my boys wanted to get in on the action… Daddy was a little confused when he got home from work to find the boys and I having a “spa day”. That’s what you get for not giving me any daughters :)

This Homemade Mint Sugar Scrub is a great DIY gift idea for the holidays! Inexpensive and easy to make!

DIY Mint Sugar Scrub

Prep time
Total time

This Homemade Mint Sugar Scrub is the perfect DIY gift idea! Inexpensive and easy to make!
Author:
Ingredients
  • ½ cup coconut oil
  • 1½ - 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon peppermint extract
  • 1 drop green food coloring
Instructions
  1. Place coconut oil in a bowl and microwave on HIGH 15-25 seconds until softened.
  2. Start by adding 1½ cups sugar to the oil, along with the peppermint extract and green food coloring. Mix until ingredients are well combined and food coloring is evenly distributed. If mixture is too wet, add another ½ cup sugar until scrub is to desired consistency.
  3. Spoon scrub into air-tight containers (such as a mason jar) and decorate with twine or ribbon.

- adapted from The Gunny Sack

Looking for more ways to enjoy this season’s best flavors? Look for Dunkin’ Donuts new seasonal coffees!

Celebrate the season with holiday coffee flavors from Dunkin' Donuts like Pumpkin Spice, Apple Pie, and Mocha Mint!

Spice up your fall and warm up your winter with new Dunkin’ Donuts® seasonal coffee flavors.  Enjoy a steamy mug of delicious Dunkin’ Donuts® coffee now available in three new seasonal coffee flavors. Kick your day up a notch with the sweet and spicy flavor of Pumpkin Spice, satisfy your sweet tooth with the flavor of Mocha Mint or enjoy the fresh baked tasted of warm Apple Pie – in a cup! Visit http://www.dunkinathome.com/dunkin-coffees/seasonal-coffee for more information.

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Dunkin’ Donuts . The opinions and text are all mine.

Let’s Keep In Touch!

Subscribe to Blog | Browse my Shop | Follow on Facebook | Follow on Twitter
Follow on Google+ | Follow on Pinterest | Follow on Instagram | Subscribe to Newsletter

Comments

1. OH I LOVE coconut oil and I’ve been using it for years! If you want any ideas on using it or recipes for your own health care products feel free to drop me a line…. There is a better source locally for your essential oils as well. Do you like shopping small local businesses? If so there is an Amish grocery store out in the country on the north east side of town. (and a gentleman who sells apples for $7 for a half bushel… he lives around the corner from us and his apples are great! I’m making applesauce again as my guys go through it quicker than I can put it up.)
    Have a wonderful day!

2. Hey there Liz,

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe for the Mint Sugar Scrub. I made a Pumpkin Pie Spice one for my cousins for our November DIVA Night and I have been looking for a Peppermint one. I love the mint green and think I might do half mint green and half pink. Anyway, Thanks again for sharing. <3 Kim

3. This is stinkin cute! i want to do more handmade gifts this year and i’m adding this one to my list! http://www.handmadeintheheartland.com

4. This looks amazing! I can’t wait to give it a try. Thanks for the detailed post and instructions!

5. Peggy Peterson says:

Liz how long does this keep? If I do it now will it still be the same consistency by Xmas?

Hi Peggy! I’ve been using a batch I made for myself for a couple weeks now, and it is still just fine. The coconut oil does change consistency once it cools, but it still works perfectly! I’d say you’d be just fine to go ahead and make some now for Christmas. It makes such a wonderful gift!

6. Is this used as a body or facial scrub (or both)? I love this idea and want to give it as gifts to my gals. Thanks for the idea!

You’re so welcome, Karen! I’d probably only use it as a body scrub. Facial skin is more sensitive (or at least mine is), so I only use it on my body. Thanks for the great question!

• Deb Higbee says:

where did you buy the jars?

Hi Deb! I can’t remember exactly which store these jars came from, but I know they are sold at most grocery stores, Walmart, etc. It’s Ball brand. :) You can always shop the Ball website too, if you need a specific size that you can’t find! Hope this helps!

7. Hi! I think this is adorable, but would the skin turn green from the food coloring?

Hi Jessica! It uses such a tiny amount of food coloring that I haven’t had any problem with that happening. You could always leave it uncolored if you’re worried about that though! Thanks so much for stopping by!

8. Thanks for posting this! It looks like a fun gift idea…I will be trying this soon!

9. how much does this recipe make?

10. Made this today for a gift. So pretty! I gave my daughter some and she added two drops of red coloring, and sort of semi-combined it so that it looks like a candy cane scrub!

11. For Laurynk who had trouble with an alcohol smell. Try using a natural essential oil like Aura Cacia. There are also natural food dyes too.

12. Just made this after pinning it yesterday! It is really wonderful! I am making jars of it for all of my coworkers! Thank you for this great idea!

That’s wonderful, Wendy! I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed it! Your coworkers will all be so surprised. Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know! Happy holidays!

13. Hello Liz! Im making these for my friends for christmas and wanted to blog about it.
    Would you mind if i referenced you or your recipe? :)
    -Thank you!

Hi Caryn! I bet they’ll love this! I don’t mind at all, just give a link back so your readers can find the recipe. Hope you have a very Merry Christmas! :)

14. Will do! Thank you, I appreciate it and have a Merry Christmas as well! :)

15. Kylie Rutschke says:

This is such a great idea! I was wondering…Did you use refined or unrefined coconut oil?

16. Is it a 1/2 cup solid or liquid coconut oil?

17. Do you think you could you use baby oil?

I haven’t tried it, so I’m not sure. Baby oil will definitely have a difference consistency than coconut oil. You can find coconut oil in many stores now, if you haven’t seen it yet! Hope this helps!

18. I absolutely love these for gifts…Thank you for sharing!!!!!!!

19. If I were to use pepperment essential oil instead of pepperment extract, would I use the same amount as listed on the recipe?

• Hi Tanya! I haven’t tried using the peppermint essential oil, but I would imagine it doesn’t take very much to scent the scrub. I would start with a little, and go from there. You’ll have to let me know how it turns out!

20. Hi! This is super cute and I am wanting to do this in ornaments for party favors. About how much does this recipe make? Thanks!

21. Could you substitute the coconut oil for olive oil?

Hi Sarah! I haven’t tried using olive oil in this recipe, so I’m not sure how it would affect the consistency. If you try it, you’ll have to let me know how it turns out!

22. Katie Ellis says:

Hey Liz,
    I need to make 100 of these…where did you find the jars…I haven’t been able to find them.

Thanks,
    Katie

Hey Katie! I honestly can’t remember where exactly I purchased them… I think any of the 4-8 ounce sizes would work for this though!

Readers: Anyone else know where you can find this size jar?

23. Hi! First off thanks for the recipe! I am wanting to try this but some of the people I am making this for have food allergies one of them being coconut. That being said, I was wondering if EVOO would work as a substitute? Thank you in advance for your time.

Great question! I haven’t personally tried using olive oil in place of the coconut oil, but I believe they can be easily interchanged. The texture may be slightly different, but I think that should work just fine! You’ll have to let me know what you think when you make it. Take care!