Moist, fluffy carrot cake cupcakes combined with the tropical flavor of coconut, and topped with a citrusy orange cream cheese frosting!
Hello Love Grows Wild readers! It’s Amber, from Dessert Now, Dinner Later! I’m back with a delicious springtime treat! My husband is a huge fan of carrot cake! Like it’s his favorite cake and I hardly make it for him, unless he requests it for his birthday. So since spring is here (well it’s official in 2 more days) I thought it would be fun to make some bright, fresh carrot cupcakes with a tropical and citrus twist.
These Coconut Carrot Cake Cupcakes are moist and sweet with tropical coconut flakes. The orange cream cheese frosting pairs beautifully with the spice cake and adds some vibrancy and a light sweet citrus flavor to this classic cake.
These little cupcakes are a perfect addition to any Easter or spring party. The flavors are making me crazy excited for summer and gardening! It will be our first year doing square foot gardens in our backyard rather than using a community garden plot. We are so excited, and carrots are on our list of veggies to plant! Who says you need to eat them as just a healthy side dish or snack? I love carrot cake, even if I don’t make it that often!
I hope you enjoy this recipe and have a fabulous spring and summer!
- Coconut Carrot Cake Cupcakes:
- 1¼ cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1¼ cup peeled, shredded carrots (about 3 carrots)
Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp orange zest (plus extra for garnish)
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line cupcake pan with paper cups. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in one bowl.
- Whisk the eggs in another bowl. Then slowly whisk in the oil, sour cream and vanilla. Whisk this mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Add the coconut and shredded carrots. Whisk until combined.
- Fill paper cups ⅔ full. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until the center is baked. Test doneness with a toothpick (will come out clean) or press lightly in the center with your finger, if the cake springs back, it's done. Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Make frosting by beating the cream cheese and butter in a bowl with a hand mixer. Add orange zest, orange juice, and powdered sugar all at once. Beat until just combined. Prepare a piping bag and tip. Fill it with frosting and pipe frosting onto each cupcake. Sprinkle the tops with extra zest for a garnish. Store cupcakes in an airtight container. Makes 12 cupcakes.
– Cake altered from Inside Brucrew Life and frosting altered from AllRecipes.
Want more Carrot Cake Recipes?
Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies || Cream Cheese Marbled Carrot Bars
Connect with Amber:
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest
Mmmm. Fabulous. It’s been way too long since I’ve had carrot cake and I always go crazy for coconut. Pinned!
Thanks for the pin, Melanie! I’m so excited for carrot cake season too!
Totally digging this remix on carrot cake!! Coconut and orange flavoring sound like a tropical pairing! Love something different. Thanks for sharing! Pinning for later! Happy Saturday 🙂
Doesn’t that sound like a fun tropical twist to carrot cake? I can’t wait to try Amber’s recipe! Thanks for the pin!
These look fab- I love carrot cake! And in cupcake form they look super cute! 🙂
Aren’t they cute? I think everything tastes better mini size! 😉 Thanks for stopping by!
Hi, Liz! These cupcakes look amazing! Every spring I start craving carrot cake…it just seems like the right thing to eat. 🙂 These cupcakes are fresh twist on the classic recipe. Pinned!
Carrot cake is definitely a must for spring! 🙂 Hope you enjoy the recipe!
So irresistible! Thanks for linking up with What’s Cookin’ Wednesday!
YUM! Pinning now – found through the #yearofcelebrations party 🙂
Thanks so much for the pin, Kelsey! That #yearofcelebrations party was a blast!
I can’t get enough carrot cake, and these look sensational! Pinning to my Easter board. 🙂
Me too! This time of year has me craving carrot cake ALL the time!
I love that these have orange frosting. I’ve had plenty of carrot cupcakes, but none with orange. Can’t wait to give these a try 🙂
I love the orange twist on classic carrot cake! Hope you enjoy the recipe, Megan!
These look delicious! I want to make them for Easter. Do cupcakes with cream cheese icing need to be refrigerated until ready to serve??
I don’t believe they need refrigeration. I checked a few other references, and I think they should be okay! Hope you enjoyed the recipe! 🙂
So this is the best orange cream cheese frosting EVER! I used it with a dark chocolate cake for my dad’s birthday and it was a hit. I linked up to you to give you ALL the delicious credit on my blog when I put up the cake post! Feel free to check it out!
Thanks for the yummy recipe!
Ohh, that sounds AMAZING, Cori! Great combination!