5 Fun Mason Jar Gift Ideas!

Ready or not, the holiday season is here! Can you believe it is already almost December? Craziness!

So I’ve been trying to come up with a few fun, unique gift ideas to have on hand this Christmas for teachers, neighbors, hostess gifts, and that sort of thing. You can only hand out so many candles and gift cards before it starts to get boring! So I put together 5 special Gift in a Jar ideas that I think you’re going to love! I’m pretty much a mason jar hoarder, so I have ALL kinds of jars on hand. These 5 ideas just take a few minutes, a few dollars, and a bit of creativity, and you will have some beautiful handmade gifts to give to your friends and family!

Sweet Treats for a Sweet Holiday Gift in a Jar

Sweet Treats for a Sweet Holiday Gift in a Jar- perfect idea for the holidays!

This is a gift EVERYONE will love! Who wouldn’t be happy with a big jar of chocolates to enjoy?

Sweet Treats for a Sweet Holiday - This fun gift in a jar is perfect for the holidays!

Pick up your favorite bag of candy, make a festive tag, and tie it around the mason jar lid with some pretty ribbon. Simple as that!

Sweet Treats for a Sweet Holiday - This gift in a jar is perfect for the holidays@

DIY Mint Sugar Scrub Gift in a Jar

Homemade Mint Sugar Scrub in a Mason Jar - a perfect gift idea for the holidays!

I shared this pampering recipe for mint sugar scrub here the other day, and I just had to include it in this list! It’s really easy to whip up a batch, and it makes your skin feel super soft and smooth. And the minty smell is just intoxicating!

To dress up the jar for gift giving, I added a paper doily on top of the lid and a stamped tag wrapped around the top with candy cane striped twine. So cute! What a perfect gift for any women on your list!

Homemade Mint Sugar Scrub - a great gift idea in a jar!

Hot Chocolate Mix Gift in a Jar

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix in a Mason Jar - a perfect holiday gift idea!

This idea just might be my favorite! I love the layered cookie mixes in a jar, and I thought a homemade hot chocolate mix would be absolutely perfect for these cold winter months!

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix - a great gift in a jar idea for the holidays!

This recipe is really simple, and the ingredients look just beautiful all layered in a big, tall mason jar. All you need is some dry milk powder, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar to create the perfect mug of steamy hot chocolate. It makes such a creamy, rich, chocolate flavor that is just amazing! And of course, no holiday hot chocolate would be complete without the addition of marshmallows, crushed candy canes, and mini chocolate chips too! Those help fill the space in the rest of the jar and keep all the layers of ingredients in place. It makes the jar look so pretty too!

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix - a great gift in a jar idea for the holidays!

I printed a cute recipe card tag to tie around the jar, and added white doily on top of the lid. Your friends and family will definitely want to make this recipe at home again for themselves!

**After a few questions from readers about how to create your own tag, I’ve decided to share mine with you! Click HERE to download a set of tags, then print and add to your gift! **

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix in a Jar

The perfect homemade hot chocolate! So creamy and rich with just the right amount of sweetness! Top it with marshmallows, candy canes, and chocolate chips for an extra special treat!
Author:
Recipe type: Beverage
Serves: 7-8
Ingredients
  • ¾ cup non-fat dry milk powder
  • ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • ¾ cup powdered sugar
  • mini chocolate chips, for garnish
  • crushed candy canes, for garnish
  • mini marshmallows, for garnish
Instructions
  1. Layer the ingredients in order in a 32 ounce quart size wide mouth mason jar.
  2. When ready to use, mix ingredients well.
  3. For a single serving, add 8 ounces freshly-boiled water to ½ cup hot chocolate mix in a heat-proof mug.
  4. Stir until completely dissolved and enjoy!

Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix - a great gift in a jar idea for the holidays!

Mason Jar Gift Card Holder

Dress up a mason jar as a unique way to give gift cards! This Mason Jar Gift Card Holder is perfect for the holidays!

As much as I try to think of unique gifts for everyone on my list, sometimes gift cards are still the best option. But what fun is it to just hand someone a tiny little envelope? Why not put the card in a gorgeous decorated mason jar for them to open?

Mason Jar Gift Card Holder - this fun idea is perfect for the holidays!

I love that you can personalize this idea for whoever you’re buying for! This one reflects my personal style, with a chalkboard gift tag and rope wrapped around inside the jar to conceal the gift card. Seriously, can I just keep this one for me?? You could use anything inside the jar… fabric scraps, candy, beads, or whatever you have on hand!  Get as creative as you’d like! And I promise the receiver of this gift will be way more impressed than just a plain, boring envelope!

Mason Jar Gift Card Holder - this fun idea is perfect for the holidays!

Snow Covered Mason Jar Lantern

Snow-Covered Mason Jar Lantern - a great holiday gift idea!

This one is double-duty: give it as a creative decor gift or keep it to decorate your home for winter! I can never have enough candles in my home during winter. It just makes everything feel so cozy and warm. I’m always re-purposing mason jars as candle holders, but adding this faux snow to the bottom made them extra special and festive! Want to know what it is?

Snow-Covered Mason Jar Lanterns are perfect for the holidays!

Salt! I dabbed a bit of regular old white school glue onto the bottom of the jar and sporadically up the sides a bit and rolled the jar in kosher salt until all the glue was coated. I let it dry about 24 hours and wrapped some thick wire around the top to create a lantern. A flickering white candle inside makes the mason jar glow beautifully through the “snow”!

Snow-Covered Mason Jar Lanterns are perfect for the holidays!

And that’s it! For more unique gift in a jar ideas and holiday inspiration, check out the Ball Canning Pinterest page where you can enter to win a different prize everyday for 25 days! The grand prize winner will receive a FreshTECH Automatic Home Canning System!! How fun is that? For more details and official rules, click here.

Which gift in a jar idea was your favorite?

Thank you to Ball Canning for sponsoring this fun post! I received Ball products to use, but of course all ideas and opinions are 100% my own!

Let’s Keep in Touch!

Subscribe to Blog | Browse my Shop | Follow on Facebook | Follow on Twitter
Follow on Google+ | Follow on Pinterest | Follow on Instagram | Subscribe to Newsletter

Comments

1. I really like the gift card idea. I haven’t seen that one before. Of course the candy or hot chocolate for me would be a great gift.

Me too, Emily! I know that gift cards are such a practical gift, but they’re not very much fun to give someone. This adds a special touch!

2. Paula Lyman says:

I LOVED them all…but if I had to pick one…it would be the sugar mint scrub. I love the color and it was fun and easy to make, AND I love to use it…

Thanks
    Paula

3. Love these ideas! I bought a case of mason jars and now I know exactly what to do with them!
    Love your hot chocolate recipe. Do you happen to have a download of the adorable tag you made for it?
    “pinning!”
    xoxo

Hi Sharon! Thank you so much! My boys have requested some of that hot chocolate every day after school since I’ve made it! I’d be happy to share the tag I made also… check your inbox! It should be there :)

• Liz – could I also get that adorable tag? Making them for all my neighbors this Christmas.
        Thanks :)

Absolutely! I added a link right above the hot chocolate mix recipe for the printable gift tag that goes along with it. I’m sure this will make your neighbors very happy! Thanks so much for stopping by!

4. What wonderful gift ideas, I love them all and I’m sure the recipients will too! Thanks so much for sharing Liz :)

5. I love all of these ideas. Can you please tell me how you made the tag for the Hot Chocolate?

Hi Gina! I decided to go ahead and share a free printable of the tag! Just go to the post and find the link above the hot chocolate recipe. I hope this helps! Thanks so much for stopping by :)

6. I love all of your ideas! Can’t wait to make the mint sugar scrub tonight and the cocoa mix. Would you mind sending me a copy of your gift tag as well? It is so cute!

Hi Karen! Thank you so much! You’re going to love these handmade goodies! I decided to offer the hot chocolate mix tag as a free printable (yay!), so just go to the post and click the link above the recipe to download your tag! Happy holidays :)

7. I loved the hot chocolate tag, please email me the link. This is perfect with having dry milk in pantry to be used.

Hi Lisa! Thanks so much for stopping by! This is a great way to use up that dry milk! I’ve decided to offer the hot chocolate tag as a free printable, so head over to the post and click the link above the recipe to download. Enjoy :)

8. Marcy Carlile says:

OMG, love love love your hot chocolate jars . Gonna maKe them at my family’s annual bake day. Any way you can send me a download of your tag? What did you print it on to? Very Creative!

Hi Marcy! Thanks so much for the sweet comments! I bet your family will love this! I’ve decided to offer the tag as a free printable (yay!), so just head over to the post and click the link above the hot chocolate recipe. And I printed my tag on brown kraft card stock. Hope you enjoy! :)

9. Stopping by from the Sparkle Link Party….love the hot chocolate jars with marshmallows and candy canes! So clever!

Thanks so much, Whitney! I’m so happy to have you here! I’ve been enjoying this hot chocolate mix all week long, and it’s my favorite! Glad you enjoyed it too! :)

10. Everything looks amazing in a mason jar, but I love those printable gift tags you made! I think my favorite has to be the minty sugar scrub though…..looks so yummy and refreshing!

You’re too sweet, Kalyn! Thank you so much! I agree, that mint sugar scrub is pretty awesome, and I love how soft it makes my skin feel. And the scent is very invigorating! I hope you have a very happy holiday!

11. Mason jars have so many fun uses! I love the hot chocolate idea – the layers are gorgeous!

12. I’m going to make 20 of these for client gifts. How many mason jars does each recipe fill? Is it just one? Thanks and can’t wait to make!

• Hi Kristen! I think your clients will love these! Are you asking about the hot chocolate mix? If so, the recipe will fill one 32 ounce mason jar. I hope this helps! Thanks so much for stopping by!

13. How adorable!! I love the gift card holder jar!! Super cute and so easy!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Thank you so much, Lisa! I love finding fun ways to give gift cards because it’s no fun just handing someone a tiny little envelope! A pretty mason jar is way more fun :) So glad you could stop by! Happy holidays!

14. Great ideas! Now I wish I had some mason jars on hand. :)

Go buy yourself some for Christmas! I use them all the time for all kinds of different things. They’re super handy to have around! Thanks so much for stopping by today!

15. Lisa, thanks so much for these great ideas. I have a question about the hot chocolate mix – the recipe calls for 1 and 3/4 cups of dried milk powder, but when I put that into the 32 oz jars, it comes almost half way up the jar. In your photos, it looks like almost equal parts dried milk, cocoa and powdered sugar. Is 1 and 3/4 cups the correct amount on the milk? If not, is there a way to correct the adorable recipe card to the right amount?
    Thanks so much!

• Ooops! I meant LIZ! I don’t know where I got Lisa….

Hi Kaille! I just doubled checked the hot chocolate mix recipe, and I do have those same measurements written down in my notes. But judging by the levels of ingredients layered in the jars, I think you may be right! I went ahead and corrected the recipe and the printable tags should be updated now as well. I apologize for the inconvienence, and thank you so much for your feedback! I’m only human, so I’m glad you caught that error! I hope you enjoy the hot chocolate mix, and happy holidays! :)

• Hi Liz – thanks so much for your reply! I hope I didn’t come off as being critical (it’s so hard to tell in written comments sometimes). I was just filling my jars and noticed that the amount didn’t look right and I am always second guessing myself, so I thought I’d check with you. I have to tell you, these jars are the cutest thing and that tag just MAKES the whole presentation! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I am having some friends over on Thursday and am sending them home with these – I know they will just love them! Thanks for making my Christmas to-do list just a little bit easier this year, and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas! :)

No worries, Kaille! I was very glad you said something! Some days my brain just hits overload, especially during the holidays, so I appreciate you letting me know! And I agree, those ingredients do look super cute all layered in a jar! That was so sweet of you to make these for your friends, and I’m sure they will love their gift! I wish you a very Merry Christmas, and thanks again for stopping by!

• I wish I had known that before I made 4 jars of it.. do you think it will be awful with so much milk powder?

Hi Laura, I’m so sorry for that! There’s still quite a bit of chocolate in the recipe, especially if you added any chocolate chips, so I would think it would just be an extra creamy hot chocolate. Many recipes I’ve found for hot chocolate mix have quite a bit more of the milk powder than the rest of the ingredients, but I just prefer mine to be a bit more chocolatey :) So I can’t say 100% for certain, but I do believe it will be just fine! You really can’t go wrong with chocolate, powdered sugar, candy canes, and marshmallows! I apologize again for the previous error!

• No need to apologise! Thanks for the great idea. They’re super cute. It gave me an excuse to try out the mixture and it was delicious, and I didn’t have to add extra milk. So no problem! Thanks!

That’s wonderful! I’m so glad it all worked out, Laura! Thanks so much, and enjoy your hot chocolate! Happy Holidays!

16. Kristen Alexander says:

Thanks so much, and I can’t wait to make your hot chocolate recipe:)

17. Love the hot chocolate idea for Christmas gifts! Would it be possible to half the recipe for smaller jars?? I have a lot of co workers and would like to do this for them but not as big. Please let me know… Thank you so much :-)

Hi Brittany! Yes, I think you’d definitely be able to cut this recipe in half! Just decrease the powdered milk, cocoa powder, and powdered sugar to fit in the size jars you have and add the chocolate chips, marshmallows, and candy canes with whatever room you have left. They’re just yummy toppings for the hot chocolate, so fit what you can! I hope this helps! Let me know how it works for you. Happy holidays!

18. Liz, how do you make the wire hangers for the jars? How heavy of wire do you use? I think they are so cute and useful too! Thanks!

Hi Connie! I’m not sure the exact weight of the wire (it was in the “leftover” stash), but I first wrapped one piece around the top of the jar underneath the lip and twisted the ends together until they were nice and secure. Then I took a longer piece of wire, curled both ends up, and hooked them on the wire wrapped around the top of the jar to create a hanger. You’ll want to wait to fully tighten the wire around the jar until you have the hanger hooked into place. Then you should be ready to hang your new lanterns!

Hope this helps, and thanks for stopping by!

19. I love your hot chocolate mason jar — it looks great and is a great holiday gift idea.

One question about the jars with chocolate — do you know how much of a 12 oz bag of chocolate fills a quart-sized mason jar? (Or if you used pint-sized, how much of a 12 oz bag fills it?) I need to put 36 jars together (in a budget, of course) and I’m trying to determine how many bags of candy I need to fill them. I’d do wrapped chocolates (mini-snickers, kisses, etc.) so they take a bit more space. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Rupa! I used a quart size jar, and if I remember correctly, a bag of the fun size chocolates definitely filled one jar and probably could have filled two if you don’t need them 100% full. Since you’re going to make so many jars, it might be a good idea to grab a bag of candy and a jar to test out how much you’ll need! The pint size jars may work better for the amount you’re doing. Sorry I couldn’t be more help, but I bet people are going to love these little gifts!