Chili Cheese Dip

Super Bowl is just around the corner,
and today I’m sharing with you my absolute favorite football food… Chili Cheese Dip!
Chili Cheese Dip appetizer recipe
I’ve been making this Chili Cheese Dip for years, and it is always the first empty plate at parties! I started making this recipe when I was in high school for movie nights with the girls, and now it is the most requested appetizer from my husband and boys!
It only takes minutes to put together and uses just three ingredients:
Cream Cheese, Chili, and Shredded Cheese
I use Hormel Chili, and my family prefers No Beans. If you’re watching your waistline and trying to cut calories, you can lighten up the recipe by switching to low fat cream cheese, low fat shredded cheese, and Hormel Turkey or Vegetarian Chili. I usually save calories with the cream cheese and splurge on yummy Cheddar Jack cheese!
Serve the dip with tortilla chips, and dive into the layers of gooey cheddar cheese, meaty chili, and smooth cream cheese. Tostitos Scoops tortilla chips make it easy to scoop up the perfect bite! You will definitely score a touchdown with this recipe!
Chili Cheese Dip

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This three-ingredient, super easy Chili Cheese Dip is the perfect party appetizer! So much flavor in this simply addicting dish!
Author:
Recipe type: Appetizer
Serves: 8
Ingredients
  • 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 15 oz can Hormel chili
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Instructions
  1. Evenly spread the softened cream cheese into the bottom of an ungreased glass pie pan or other round baking dish. Spread chili over the cream cheese. Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
  2. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Check the dip to see if cheese is melted and microwave 1-2 minutes more until cheese is completely melted. Serve with tortilla chips.
Notes
To easily softened cold cream cheese: Place cream cheese into the dish and microwave 30 seconds on high.
What’s your favorite snack for the big game?
Let’s Keep in Touch!

Subscribe to Blog | Browse my Shop | Follow on Facebook | Follow on Twitter
Follow on Google+ | Follow on Pinterest | Follow on Instagram | Subscribe to Newsletter

Comments

1. MMmm that looks so good! I make a chili-cheese dip every year for super bowl but never with the cream cheese. I’m doing this one this year, for sure. Thank you!!

2. This is our favorite dip! I use the nobean turkey chili!!! YUMMMY.

3. Nom Nom Nom.. looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! Pinning and Stumbling. xo, Kelly

4. Oh this looks sooooo good!!

xoxo, Tanya

5. YUMMMMMMM!
    I wish I had some right now! 🙂

6. We make this ALL the time. Great with scallions, olives or other toppings on top as well. 🙂

7. Looks so yummy and easy enough to make! I’ll be pinning!

8. Perfect for Super Bowl!

9. Visiting from the Six Sisters’ link party … this dip looks delicious!! Pinning now, thanks for he awesome recipe!! 🙂
    – Brenda @ ChattingOverCocolate.blogspot.com

10. Ohhh YUM! This looks SO good! I am going to have to make this on game days!!! Actually it gives me something to look forward to with the super blow… since my team won’t be playing!
    :o)
    Jaime

11. This looks delicious! Found you from the “I should be mopping the floor” blog hop. I am also your newest follower. Hope you will return the favor!

12. Visiting from I should be Mopping the floor, this looks so yummy can’t wait to try for the superbowl!

13. This looks delicious.
    Debi

14. Once again – Pinned! I love the recipes you share here.

15. This has been a favorite recipe in our home for ages, too! Every time I make this for parties or get-togethers, it’s always gobbled up so fast and everyone always wants to know how to make it! I just love it!!! =D Hope you have a great night! Thanks for sharing this!

16. I even use the vegetarian Hormel to keep it meat free for some of my guests!

17. Hello!
    I found you from the Mop it up Mondays link up. I would love to have you come share your post with my readers over at Sassy Little Lady’s Show and Tell Saturday. Hope to see you there!

Kathie

18. Thanks so much for linking up with Monday Funday! This looks awesome and I can’t wait to try it! My family loves these kinds of dips! xoxo – Cheryl from That’s What Che Said…

19. Yum! That looks delicious!! Great for a SuperBowl Party.

20. Thank you for linking up with me for Show and Tell Saturday at Sassy Little Lady! Be sure to stop by next week!
    Kathie

21. This is one of our favorite dips too! I’m thinking we need this for our craft day 🙂

22. It looks so yummy!! Chili Cheese Dip really is always the first empty plate at parties! Thanks so much!!

23. Anonymous says:

I also have been making the same dip for many years and it is always a big hit.

24. Anonymous says:

I make this with a layer of salsa on top of the chili. It is SO good!

25. Anonymous says:

My family loves this dip. We have been making it for years. We had to laugh when this dip appeared on The Chew. The show was about telling someone that what they make is not good. This woman was trying to tell her friend that the dip was terrible. I was surprised when the cast agreed. Regardless, I still make it and it has always been a hit with my family and friends. I wish Mario, Carla, Michael, Clinton and Daphanie (not sure how to spell it) would read these reviews.

26. Anonymous says:

I add scallions, rotel tomatoes, and green chilies

27. I make this with a layer of jalapenos between the chili and the cheese!

28. How many servings does this make?? I would love to try it!!

Well if you ask my husband… he’d say only ONE! Lol 😉 I make this all the time for parties, and it is usually enough for at least 8 people to have a portion. If you’re having a bit larger of a crowd, I would definitely suggest making a double batch though, because this stuff is addicting!!

29. We put a jar of salsa over the chili under the cheese. Always a huge hit!

30. Carol Novak says:

Instead of shredded cheddar cheese which hardens when it cools, I use veletta cheese which is a melting cheese and stays soft so you can continue dipping.

31. Jessie Heaton says:

I’m making this tonight!! Can’t wait!! Yummy!

32. I make this often but use herb & garlic flavoured cream cheese and a veg chill for the middle then a shredded tex mex cheese for the top…..delicious !!

33. I was introduced to a form of this recipe many, many years ago (late 80’s). Cream cheese, chili, then small can of chopped green chiles, taco seasoning (sprinkle to cover the layer, not too thick, “eyeball it”) Then cheddar cheese. Microwave 5 minutes or oven 30 minutes. When I sold Tupperware and did “cooking parties” this was a favorite recipe. Great to find it’s still out there.

Love this! Thanks so much for sharing, Karen! I remember tagging along to many Tupperware parties back in the day. 🙂

34. I just made this and it turned out delicious!!! Thanks so much for sharing! 🙂

35. My husbands family has been making this for years. They actually cover loosely with Saran Wrap and microwave it until cheese is melted (just a few minutes). It comes out great!

36. Tamatha Carpentier says:

We’ve been making this for years, the only difference is I add chopped up pickled banana peppers. It gives it a slight twang without the heat. YUM!

37. Been making this for years . But being from cin. Ohio and ky. There are Skyline chili restaurants all over and products in the stores . We use Skyline chili canned or frozen the original .we add onions . Great Hit ! Everyone knows The Original Skyline Chili Dip !

38. I just made this for our Halloween party at work and everyone loved it! It is just 2 other teachers and myself and we ate almost the entire 8×8 pan! This was the easiest dip I have ever made and I love that you just microwave it. So easy! The only thing I would change is next time I may add less cheese on top because after a while it becomes hard to dip into with a chip (the others actually went against me on this, they want more cheese!). I will definitely make this again. Wonderful!

Yay! Thank you so much for sharing, Angie! My husband and I could definitely finish off an entire batch on our own too! Glad you all enjoyed it. 🙂

39. Had anyone tried this in a crock pot? I want to make this for a party to eat a few hours later. Was Wondering how long I should cook it in the crock pot instead of the microwave.

40. angela hitchner says:

Sorry, but since 1949 we have been making this dip in Cincinnati, Ohio…it is called Skyline Chili Dip, please try it with Skyline Chili and follow same recipe put the scallions on it and some Red Hot Sauce on the side!! You will think you died and went to heaven, blows the socks off the Hormel!!

41. My family and friends LOVE this dip. Sometimes I think I get invited to parties just to bring it! Lol. Seriously, though, never skimp on brands with this recipe, it will NOT be as good. Before serving, I stir all ingredients and reheat another minute. It makes for easier dipping and tastes awesome!

42. If I wanted to put this in the oven instead of the microwave would that be possible? How would I do that?

Hey Kerry! Yes, you can definitely do this in the oven. Just be sure to use an oven-safe dish (I like to use my pie dish) and heat just until the cheese is melted. I haven’t tried it this way myself, but I would imagine setting the oven to 350º would work just fine. Let me know how it works!

43. Is it possible to keep this heated in a crock pot??

I haven’t tried it yet, but I think that would probably work! Just layer the ingredients in a small crockpot and keep it on low. Let me know how it turns out!

44. Do you have to heat up the chili before combining it with the cheeses?

45. Teresa Hicks says:

We’ve been making this for over 20 years and it is a family favorite. We have had many requests for the recipe over the years and it is so fast and easy to make.

46. This has been a staple party dip in Cincinnati for as long as I can remember. We use either Skyline (my favorite) or Gold Star chili.

47. I also have been making this for years. We add re-fried beans to the dish and bake it in the oven at 350 till the cheese browns slightly!! Delish

48. I remember my mom cooking this when I was younger & now I realize why she did so. #

49. Would skyline Chile work as that is what I have on hand?

50. Do you think sour cream would substitute well for the cream cheese? I’m not a big cream cheese fan- but this recipe looks good!

Hmm… I don’t think I would use that as a substitute myself, but maybe another reader will have a better suggestion!

READERS: What would you use in place of the cream cheese?

51. This looks so good. Going to make this weekend. Thanks
    For all the great recipes!!

52. This makes me want football season and tailgating to be in full swing. I love chili cheese dips like this! So comforting and really addicting.

53. I’m trying this recipe to take to a work potluck tomorrow. I did change up the cream cheese layer just a bit. I softened the cream cheese in a separate bowl and with a hand mixer I mixed in 1 c sour cream and 3/4 c mayonnaise. After pouring this layer into the baking dish, I let it set up in the refrigerator for about an hour before adding the chili and cheese layers. Too bad I have to wait for tomorrow to eat it.

• Adrienne Marie says:

I’m really interested to see how it tastes w/the mayo. Sour cream I think I’ve tried before, but never mayonnaise. I hope it’s super super yummy! Wish I worked with you so I could dig in at that potluck!

54. I top the chili with chopped Bermuda Onion and then top with the cheddar prior to baking – delic!!