Want a unique piece of decor that will add tons of character to a room? Learn how to build your own ladder with this simple, step-by-step tutorial!
I am SO excited to show you guys this project!! I have been pretty proud of some of my past DIY builds, but for some reason this one tops my list… I built a ladder. And not just any ladder, but a rustic, decorative, hold-my-pretty-towels kind of ladder!
Remember my little pantry area:
Next to our pantry we have this cute little wash sink, and I’ve never really known what to do with it. There’s not a lot of space, so my decorating options are pretty limited. Right now we don’t have anywhere to keep towels by the sink, so instead of hanging a boring towel bar on the wall, I decided to build a ladder to hang our towels! How cool is that?? It takes up very little space and adds a ton of character. I just love it!
Here’s how I made my ladder:
1) I picked up 2 – 6 foot 1 x 4 boards from the hardware store and one 6 foot 3/4″ dowel rod. I sanded down all edges of the boards to give them a worn, rustic look.
2) I cut the dowel rod into 4 – 18″ pieces.
3) I laid all the pieces out to find the spacing I wanted for the ladder rungs and marked where each rung would go on the 1 x 4′s. I ended up spacing mine 14 1/2 inches apart.
4) Using a 3/4″ paddle bit, I drilled a shallow round in the 1 x 4′s for each of my rungs. *You only need to make a small groove for the dowel rod to set in.
5) I drilled long screws into one of the boards, securing the dowel rods in place.
6) Then I lined up the second board and screwed the other side of each dowel rod in place.
- Check out the stunning ladder tutorial I was inspired by from Jen of Tatertots and Jello! -
I wiped the ladder down really well and stained it with my favorite dark walnut stain. After it was dry, I applied a coat of paste finishing wax. And here’s how it looks next to my cute little sink:
I am so smitten with this new addition to my pantry/kitchen makeover, and I love the charm it brings to the space! These shabby chic tea towels I created look stunning hanging from the ladder rungs. You can find the tutorial for the tea towels here!
UPDATE: See this ladder used as blanket storage in our living room! Click here.
So what do you think? Do you like unique storage ideas like this? What creative storage ideas do you use in your home?
Check out more unique decor ideas: